Jewelry & Diamond AppraisalsWhat is a Jewelry Appraisal?
A jewelry appraisal is a written document prepared by an independent appraiser, describing your jewelry and giving a value as of a specific date. There is no governing or licensing body for jewelry appraisers, so it is critical to choose an appraiser who is certified, and has a high level of product knowledge and experience.
Jewelry Appraisals at Fox Fine Jewelry
George Fox, a Certified Gemologist, Graduate Gemologist, and our owner, has been appraising jewelry since 1984. We have a full laboratory on premises in compliance with the American Gem Society, with whom we are certified annually.
Fox Fine Jewelry in Ventura provides two types of appraisals, written and verbal. Please bring in any documentation, including prior appraisals and diamond certificates. Many people come to Fox because they have inherited jewelry. Here's guidance on your options if you have inherited jewelry.
Written Jewelry Appraisals
- A formal document describing and valuing your jewelry, diamonds and gems, with a photograph
- Used for insurance purposes, estate valuation and tax purposes
- No appointment required
- Most jewelry appraisals are $125. Some items are more
Verbal Jewelry Appraisals
- General valuation, stone and metal identification for any number of items
- Determine if an item is authentic (Is it a “real” diamond)
- Determine a fair selling price to a private party
- General estate valuation where taxation is not a factor
- Appointment required
- $45 per 15 minutes or fraction thereof, with a minimum charge of $45
Ask Our ExpertsLooking for something specific?
Need some ideas? We're here to help! Customer Reviews
Fox BlogJewelry tips and answers.
- Decadent Reflections with artists Amy Lynn Stevenson and Susan Lorenzana Susan Lorenzana stuns with her intricate glass work, while Amy Lynn Stevenson amazes with her 1920's inspired paintings.
- Art Show with Hiroko Yoshimoto See one of Ventura County's most famous artists unveil her new work!